Friday, August 8, 2008

IF ONLY I COULD HAVE HELPED HER......





I still can’t get over with that incident .it feel as if I am still witnessing that sight, I still remember…….
“You know Nikhil, you are the sweetest guy in our office”-said Ruchi. “Why are you being so formal, yaar. Wese bhi I had to drive back home. So by giving you a lift, I am not wasting my fuel or something”-I said. We could hear Arun snoring from the backseat. She looked behind and watching him sleep so peacefully, smiled.
Arun get up!!!!-I shouted.” call me up when we reach Ruchi’s home, yaar-he shouted back.” Stupid, we have already reached!!!”.”hmmm”-he said and opened his eyes partially.”” haven’t last slept properly for a week yaar.”-he grumbled and got up. He got up ay.” driver GHADI Ko ghar ki or le chalo”-he joked. Kyon,maharaja??Aj beer bar sab band he kya?? Jo ap itne jaldi ghar jayenge.-I commented, and started laughing.
We were waiting at the Pragati Maidan signal, when we saw her sitting in the bus stand, all alone. Arun asked. ” The traffic light had got green and we started moving. “ Hey she looks from a decent home yaar, should I could have offer her a lift. May be she got lost or something. Nikhil, are you out of your mind?? Can’t you make out??Which girl would be standing all alone in a bus stand. It’s a trick…-Arun said smiling.” A trick??-I asked.”Yup. ”these news channel wale do all these things to boast the TRP’s. Clearing his throat, he continued-“what they do is, they make one their female reporters like prostitutes dress and make them stand in such lonely places and if you know some guy comes near by for you know a “trade”. They get hold of him and show his face all over during their prime-time??
I laughed out load.” Who told you all this crap yaar? “kuch nahi to must be a police aide-arun added. Arun and his fancy world of stories-I said to myself. But deep down my heart, couldn’t stop regretting myself of not helping that lady.
I was blank. It was one of the main news in the newspaper. That girl was dead. The headline read- “LADY BRUTTALLY Raped AND KILLED. From the paper it was evident that this girl’s had some problem with her husband, and so was living in a hotel. Cutting down the crap, I went directly to the second last paragraph which said-“28 September that is yesterday, her husband came to her and apologized, and she feeling that he had had actually changed, decided to leave with her husband. For celebrating their patch up they decided to go for a dinner (These news guys are so in need of a course to be CONCISE-I SAID TO MYSELF!!!) and then went for a dinner. The husband got drunk and the couple ended up having a fight right up in the hotel.” So half there way to home, the hubby stopped his scooter and said that since she had defamed him in front of strangers she would have to pay for it. He forced her out of the car and fled.
The girl is supposed to have stood there for help for hour’s .Many vehicles passed her. But no one came to her rescue. Hour’s later police found her body in Hydel canal. Post mortem has confirmed a case of gang rape. Police has registered a case against her husband.
I was completely taken aback. I could have helped her, if I had won over my apprehensions. “Poor girl”-I said to myself. Wiping the sweat off my brow, I took a long breathe…”poor girl”-I said again.

2 comments:

Nicesweetguy said...

good one...these thoughts too come on my mind...for every poor kid i see on the street...why is she/he here??why cant she/he go to school...good to see you have a golden heart....:)

Anonymous said...

in a world full of nothing.. i still see sparks and i get a feeling there is more to life :)
bless you!